Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Good News of Great Joy

The closer it gets to Christmas Eve, the more restless my sister and I get in anticipation of Christmas morning. We decided to keep ourselves busy with a little candy making that afternoon.

Peanut Butter Fudge - easy and delicious!
Macee's Oreo Truffles - Aaron loved these
Our family has gathered at my Papa and Grandma Phyllis' home on Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember. We always have a casual dinner, dessert, and then attempt to corral their five children, many grandchildren, and now great-grandchildren into the living room to open presents. I have so many wonderful memories of late nights at Grandma's, waiting for the adults to finally finish what seemed to be like their fourth helpings of food so we could finally get to the gifts! And then playing for hours afterwards while our parents visited until we were ready to head home for bed.


This sight takes my breath away when I come home for the holidays. It takes my mom several days to arrange the 261 ornaments on the tree, but it's completely worth it to see our faces, she says. 

This was my favorite gift tag :)



Around the tree before heading up to Papa's!


I love this picture of my Aunt Carol and Grandma
 My favorite new tradition is opening a gift from "Santa" on Christmas Eve. Old Saint Nick leaves pajamas for the girls and house slippers for the boys to wear to bed that night.


Mom loved her thermal pj's!
Red and white polka dot jammies? Thanks, Santa!
On Christmas morning, we tried a new treat. Mom ordered Hot Chocolate on a stick from a company in San Francisco. We poured steaming milk into the adorable mugs we found at Dillard's several weeks before and stirred the stick until the chocolate melted into a rich, creamy cup of cocoa. I chose the Salted Caramel flavor, and it was divine!


Over cocoa, I read the Christmas Story by the fireplace and my father led us in prayer before we opened our stockings.



Macee got creative and handmade Christmas cards for Mom and Dad and me and Aaron based on an idea from Pinterest. They're constructed of rolled up pieces of wrapping paper. They were adorable!


 I also received a handmade card from Aaron. He went through two versions before he got the front cover design right :) The words inside melted my heart as much as the time and thought he put into the card itself. 

Mom was excited about her stocking stuffers! Nice pj's!

I asked Aaron which present was his favorite, and his new grill from my parents was the winner! I see many cookouts in our future.

I have to say this Christmas was my favorite yet. The only thing that could have made it better would have been some kiddos of our own to share the season with. Just something more to look forward to!
Hope your Christmas was merry and bright, and that you gave thanks to God for His good news of great joy, Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment