Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wearing my Cadaver

The past week has been horribly hectic, and it's not about to slow down. Aaron and I successfully packed up and moved into our new place (more on that to come) in the midst of the semester. There's a lot of new things on our home wishlist, and as our income is nada, we've become TAs in Anatomy lab to try to earn extra money...and review the thousands of structures we've forgotten since last year.
While standing over a body in the lab today helping some first years with identification of branches off the axillary nerve, I glanced at some fat globules and found myself recalling an embarrassing memory.
My group's cadaver last year was a very old woman who had undergone a lot of muscle atrophy. Translation? There was a lot of fat to remove before we got down to the not-so-well-defined muscles, vessels and nerves.
There were days when we had to soak up the liquified adipose tissue with paper towels because it was pooling where we needed to dissect. Do you have a mental picture of the degree of grossness yet?
One day, just before taking off my gloves and washing my hands, I walked up to Aaron prepared to chat about our afternoon study plans. I was met with the most horrified, disgusted facial expression I've ever seen, directed right at my face. He quickly pointed at my chin, where a large piece of yellow fat had apparently landed in my dissecting ferocity.
I have never felt so unattractive in my life. And if I recall, I washed my face quite a few times that evening. Thanks for the memories, Anatomy.

No comments:

Post a Comment