Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

How to Become a Doctor

It happens nearly every time Aaron and I respond to the question, "What do you do?" with "We're in medical school."
Confusion or misconceptions.
Commonly, the follow-up question is, "So you're going to be a nurse?" This happens more frequently when I'm alone, and probably because I'm female (Really? It's 2012!).
It even happens within our own families. My grandmother thought medical school consisted of only one year after college, and then we'd be practicing physicians. Aaron's dad asked us if we were going to maintain jobs during medical school. In our dreams, both are possible.
I don't blame anyone, because unless you've had a close friend or family member go through the process, it's not common knowledge.
For those of you who aren't sure what becoming a doctor entails, the following is a brief summary.
  • College: students generally apply during their senior year for matriculation into medical school the following year
  • Medical School: 4 years
    • 2 years of "academic" work
    • 2 years of "rotations," or our clinical clerkship, under attendings, residents, and physicians in both primary care and specialties
      • Applications and interviews for residency positions take place during the 4th and final year of medical school
  • Officially a Doctor after graduation, but must complete a residency in order to obtain license to practice
  • Residency: 3-5 years
    • Primary care residencies are typically shorter in duration, whereas specialties generally require 5 years of training
  • Fellowship (Optional): 1-3 years
    • More focused study and training within a specialty; "sub-specialty"
    • Cardiologists, Plastic Surgeons, Nephrologists, etc.
There you have it! 3 rounds of boards (4 if you choose a fellowship) must also be passed at various stages, such as this June, when Aaron and I take Step 1.
Hopefully that clears up any questions for those of you who follow my posts but are unsure of the "big picture." I'm only a fraction of the way there, but one day at a time, practicing draws nearer!

1 comment:

  1. When I was in pharmacy school, everyone always said, "Oh, you're going to be a pharmacologist?". So, I totally get!

    ReplyDelete