Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Hear Me Roar


An innate sense of peace has begun to overwhelm my spirit since making my decision concerning a specialty path. Though my internal struggle has subsided, I've been taking a lot of heat from outside sources - predominantly men.
I am not what you would consider a feminist. However, several comments of late have made me want to pull out the old soap box and defend my gender.
The first was made by my father-in-law, who upon hearing that Aaron's residency is 5 years in duration compared to 4 years in mine, said, "So Micah's taking the easy way out. I guess it doesn't take much to catch a baby."
I'm still not sure how I managed to hold my tongue after that comment, but I consider it to be a moment of great personal growth.
I've also received several tidbits of advice from male colleagues, such as, "I would just quit and stay home," in reference to the fact that my husband will also be a physician and will realistically be making more money than me.
A. I've dreamed of becoming a doctor since I was a small child. I'm certainly not going to give up on my dream because my husband's salary would allow me the luxury of not having to work.
B. I realize my chosen specialty has an extremely demanding lifestyle, and that balancing work and family life will be a struggle. This does not mean it is impossible, nor does it mean I should choose another specialty over my passion because it's 9-5.
C. I entered into medical school with the realistic expectation of working my butt off after graduation and beyond. I have the utmost respect for stay-at-home moms; however, that's not the purpose for which I was created. It irks me that there sometimes lies the premature judgement that all female physicians will stop practicing medicine once they give birth.
In summation: I work hard. I will continue to work hard. My work matters. It matters just as much as my husband's. I am not required to stay at home after I have children. I am not a bad mother because I choose not to do so. I have found my purpose and will enjoy the fulfillment it will bring. I would be doing myself an injustice by choosing anything less, or anything different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment