Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Aaron: Chuck Norris of Medicine

I'm sitting here in my study carrel, trying not to fall asleep, which is really hard. Micah and I sleep every night with a fan on for white noise. Here in the library, the air conditioner is out in the section I'm at, so fans are dispersed throughout the books, though it's actually quite cool without them. Couple this with the jasmine scented tea I'm brewing now and postprandial somnolence, and we've got a serious study problem. 
Other than that, I can't complain. Second year is terrific. Not only do I actually have time in the afternoons to study, I've got enough time to be a TA for Anatomy for about 5 hours a week. AND, we actually get to learn medicine. Dr. Goljan (Ghoul-yawn), our Pathology professor,  is as advertised, and definitely the best teacher I have ever had. He's the Chuck Norris of medicine. 
The Chuck Norris of Medicine

He truly is a great man, and I think the thing I love the most about him is his openness with his faith. In being taught by this man, I get to experience part of a true miracle first-hand. He was unequivocally diagnosed with ALS (some might know it as Lou Gehrig's disease) by neurologists. Most of you probably don't know, but if you get ALS, you die within five years. This is probably the best example I have seen of the power of healing through prayer, as it truly had to be through God. It lets me know that God had great plans  for him. If nothing else, he has provided the BEST medical education to countless physicians, and been incredibly outspoken with his faith. There is no telling how many people have been won to Christ because of the impact he has had upon medical students. I am truly blessed to be at Oklahoma State and to learn from Poppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment