Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 22, 2011

Rainy Day Recipe

I'm not a fan of Mondays in general, but today was particularly gruesome. I'm still getting used to 8 o'clock lectures Monday through Friday, and it was raining this morning when my alarm clock began screeching. The only thing I want to do when it's raining is snuggle deeper into the sheets and sleep in blissful peace, especially when I don't feel well. So I really had to force my eyes open and will myself to throw aside the blanket at 6:45.
That lovely start was followed by six - that's right, six - hours of lecture. Thankfully Poppie, our amazing Pathology professor, taught 3 of those hours. Even with him speaking, however, I was struggling to keep focus by 2:30.
The only redeeming portion of the day was lunch. I played Susie Homemaker this weekend, whipping up some chocolate chip cookies for the hubs from scratch, preparing chicken pot pie filling to freeze for a hectic day later this semester, and trying out a new vinaigrette recipe I flagged in a magazine several months ago. Orange Poppy Seed Vinaigrette courtesy of Cooking Light is definitely a keeper. If you're a fan of salads like me, you'll want to give it a try.
Mix 1/2 cup of OJ, 1/4 cup each of honey and champagne vinegar, and an 1/8 teaspoon of salt in a blender. Add 1 tsp of poppy seeds and pulse once. Cover, refrigerate, and enjoy!
I accidentally wrote down "champagne vinaigrette" on the grocery list, so that's what my husband brought home. It worked just fine as a substitution.
I sliced up strawberries, mandarin oranges, and some grilled chicken and added them to a spring mix along with some feta cheese. The ingredients paired perfectly with the vinaigrette. Super easy and super delicious, and now I have lunch for the week! If only every part of my life could be this simple...

No comments:

Post a Comment