The demonstrations by the doctors are extremely helpful and I always enjoy watching them, until today. Because today, I became the demonstration. At the pig feet/ring station, I became a little overzealous in practicing removing a ring on myself. I repeated the wrapping technique one too many times (word to the wise: do NOT repeat), and my finger become so swollen that I could not remove my wedding ring - for real.
After placing it in a cup of ice for several minutes and being asked to stay for the next group's demonstration, Dr. Lamberson performed the technique on me, twice, to get the ring off. It's actually a pretty painful experience, and today my husband switched lab groups and wasn't there for support. Instead, Matt Wood was kind enough to be his proxy and hold my hand through the ordeal. I do not have a high pain tolerance and felt a bit like I was in labor and delivery, squeezing Matt's hand as the ring was twisted and Matt telling me I was fine and doing good. The only thing that kept me from outwardly expressing how much of a baby I am was the crowd of my peers watching the process.
After the ring popped off and the onlookers applauded, Dr. Lamberson breathed a sigh of relief. He would have been really embarrassed if he would've had to send a student to the emergency room from today's clinic.
| Thanks, Dr. Lamberson! |
Well, maybe three things. Practice lab techniques on someone else.

Oh my goodness, it looks so bad! I'm glad it didn't come to something drastic like cutting the ring off. That would have been really sad.
ReplyDelete