Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Rx Writing

There are many steps to becoming a doctor that I often don't think about. Today, our Clinical Skills lab was focused on a task that we will all practice daily: writing prescriptions. Although we've begun applying pharmacology in nearly every course, the physical transcription of that information had not yet crossed my mind. It's possible I've been delaying entertaining the thought because it's a huge responsibility - and at this point, I don't feel that I know a tenth of the minimum required to be able to treat patients. It's intimidating!

Our group had a doctor who did a great job of teaching us the basic principles and emphasizing details we should never leave unchecked. The urban legends and personal stories drove those points home...and made class more interesting.
It was a bit surreal to practice calculating dosages and phrasing administration instructions for our paper "patients." Thank God for smartphones, clinical databases, and calculators a mere tap of a finger away.
One thing is definitely on my to-do list: practice that doctor's signature!

No comments:

Post a Comment