While older doctors typically don't draw blood on a routine basis, we as students and future residents need to acquire the skill.
I have been dreading this day for several weeks now because of the fact that I have horribly small (some would say non-existent) veins, and I knew that I would be walking out of the room with black and blue arms. Fortunately, I didn't have to be "stuck" today! It was confirmed that my veins were not ideal for practice. Therefore, Matt Wood was a patient twice. Once for his partner, and once on behalf of me for Aaron. Now that's a friend.
Aaron and I were both successful on our second tries. The first time I went where the phlebotomy student instructed me, and the second time I used the tiny scar Aaron has from previous needles as guidance. Score!
The above picture is Dr. Eddy, the head Clinical Skills instructor, bravely volunteering for a demonstration. He's not a fan of needles and was not looking forward to what was ahead.
Jon was determined to do it right! Bonita managed a smile even after finding out she was Jon's fourth patient model.
It may not have been pretty, and we may not have mastered it, but at least now we shouldn't look incompetent. I'm hoping my skills improve with time.
On another note, we had a great club meeting Tuesday with Dr. Lamberson, another Clinical Skills instructor, as our guest speaker. Yes, the one who saved my ring finger.
He gave us some excellent advice on financial management after graduation, with some pretty memorable personal stories to boot.
The guy has dabbled in the oil business (successfully), invested in a Ponzi scheme, and in essence run his own "bank" with property investments.
These are the people to whom I love to listen. Those I respect, and those who are willing to let me learn from their own mistakes and successes.
Never lend money to family, never take out more than a 3 year car loan and don't do a 30-year home mortgage, and hire a financial adviser who doesn't make money every time he makes a trade.
That's advice Aaron and I plan to heed. It's not just about making money, but what you do with it!

No comments:
Post a Comment