Monday mornings are always hard. Today was especially so. I was reluctant to begin the week, knowing that my last 'free' weekend this semester was over. Sigh. After hitting the snooze button more times than I care to publicly announce, I rushed in to the first Clinical Skills lecture. Mistake #1.
I decided after about the second week of class that these lectures were worthless. Although the lecturers and topics usually pique my interest (Cardiology, Pulmonology, ENT?!), it's akin to setting the bar high for a movie and walking out feeling thoroughly misled and disappointed. An over-abundance of slides, images not suitable for early morning hours, and personal tangents are the hallmarks of these lectures. So every week I've skipped and spent the time studying. Every week Aaron falls for the bait-and-switch. "It looks like it might be a good lecture!" Every week the same response afterward: "I should've studied and not gone." I thought I, at least, had learned my lesson, but apparently not.
Today in lab we were supposed to be doing History and Physicals on classmates (or so we thought), so I incorrectly assumed we would be taught how to conduct H&Ps in lecture. Joke's on you, MSI's [insert evil laugh]! Immediately I was overwhelmed by a sense of deja vu, undoubtedly because I was forced to listen to the same 25 minute speech the professor gives EVERY Monday in lab and anytime he lectures. Don't get me wrong, it has some sound advice. However, I do not have retrograde amnesia and am able to retain information without the assistance of the worst case of redundancy I've ever experienced.
In the break - yes, there's a break in between the TWO HOURS of lecture for this class - I made Mistake #2: not leaving. During the second hour, I charged my iPod and daydreamed about the mound of profitable study time slowly evaporating as he read pages of jokes (Funny, yes. Worth my time, no.) and showed a horrible instructional video of material we'd already covered.
In short, I have vowed to never attend again. Ever. Short of a free meal (medical school currency equivalent) or test points, I'm not falling for it people.

*anterograde amnesia*...the trauma? the last neuro exam.
ReplyDelete