Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 21, 2011

A New Approach

It was back to the grind today. I was kept up all night by a horrible cough, and the cough medicine I took made me extremely drowsy when I finally got to sleep, so I slept in this morning. Apparently it was a wise choice, as lectures were not profitable (according to Aaron). Our Renal Physiology exam got moved to the following Monday from when it was originally scheduled. As usual, some of my classmates are ecstatic about a free weekend, and others are upset because it alters plans they had already made. All I know is that this semester has been a wild roller coaster, and nothing in our schedule is set in stone. And that pleasing everyone is never a possibility. Man, med school is great at life lessons...
I have absolutely been dreading finishing the remainder of the semester. I liken it to the last days of summer, when you want to enjoy yourself as much as possible before school begins again, but the latter is ever present in the back of your mind. My parents did all they could to encourage me, and as an act of appreciation, I decided to let some of that positivity sink in. I like Physiology. It's my favorite subject, always has been. If ever I were to retire from medicine and go back to get my PhD to teach, it would be in Phys. The material is interesting...I enjoy reading interesting material. Therefore, I am approaching the knowledge to master for this Cardiology Phys exam on Wednesday as such. I'm pushing aside the feelings of dread and procrastination I automatically associate with anything to do with preparing for an exam. Instead, I'm attempting to read the Board Review book and other study aids for enjoyment. It may be the epitome of nerdiness, but it's working. I may not be able to apply it to other classes (such as Micro - blah, Bacteriology), but it's getting me through these next few days. And towards a weekend devoid of the pressure of an impending exam. Minor victories - in reflection, they're how I will win this war.

No comments:

Post a Comment