Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Two More Days

To say this has been a rough week would be a massive understatement. I think everyone in med school would attest that this last month has been crazy, and there is no reprieve until Friday. Besides looking forward to the movies I will catch up on, meals I will cook, and numerous game nights I will have there have been some little glimmers of joy this week. Today, I reconnected with one of my lifelong loves-Led Zeppelin. Why did I ever stop listening to them? Seriously, they are the best rock band ever. You can argue with me if you'd like. You will lose. I got in my car this morning on the way to school and rocked out to "Gallows Pole," and it turned out to be some much needed therapy. It's really sad that in the last semester and a half I forgot how much I like to sing. I've also found that things I thought were necessities have been put on the back burner. Working out and washing dishes just aren't as important as studying and spending what free time I have as quality time with my wife. In Neuro class today, one of our professors was talking about the schedule of upcoming lectures. She offhandedly mentioned that we would talk about sleep after Spring Break, everyone laughed, and she didn't understand why this was funny. Obviously because she hasn't been to med school, she doesn't realize that sleep is a luxury and is often pushed back like many of the other important things in our lives.



In between our Neuro lecture exam and our lab exam, we had an hour and a half break (seriously !!?) during which I had to do a little soul searching. We had just walked out of the most difficult test-hands down-of our lives. That's all I'm really going to say about it. During my down time, I stumbled upon a passage from 2 Samuel Chapter 22. I'll share a small part of it with you (though in retrospect it is still long).

30 In your strength I can crush an army;
with my God I can scale any wall.
31 “God’s way is perfect.
All the Lord’s promises prove true.
He is a shield for all who look to him for protection.
32 For who is God except the Lord?
Who but our God is a solid rock?
33 God is my strong fortress,
and he makes my way perfect.
34 He makes me as surefooted as a deer,
enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
35 He trains my hands for battle;
he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
36 You have given me your shield of victory;
your help has made me great.
37 You have made a wide path for my feet
to keep them from slipping.
38 “I chased my enemies and destroyed them;
I did not stop until they were conquered.
39 I consumed them;
I struck them down so they did not get up;
they fell beneath my feet.
40 You have armed me with strength for the battle;
you have subdued my enemies under my feet.
41 You placed my foot on their necks.
I have destroyed all who hated me.


This is a song of David after one of his victories. It is just so powerful. Though the trials and battles I go through in my life are nothing compared to the literal life and death struggles of many other men, this really inspires me. Every minute of every day, I have to choose whether or not I will try to accomplish God's will for me (that is after I know what His will is). God sometimes asks things of us that may seem impossible, and often they are impossible on our own. I know that God always has my back. He will never let me fail in any endeavor that He chooses for me.  He is my strength, and my rock, and my shield, and so much more. And when I don't have the strength or ability to do something he asks, I know all I have to do is rely on him. He won't let me fail.

And I made it (through yesterday anyway). The Neuro exam is over; now on to Virology. I think I am trying everything I can to keep from studying. It seems again like the workload is insurmountable. I've highlighted such a high percentage of words in my notes that it hurts to look at the pages. I think I might invent a new study tool for med students. You would use it just like a highlighter, except you would mark over the less important words and make them duller. I'm thinking the Low-lighter would be an adequate name. Think about it. It would save time and not blind the user: win-win. Finally, in light of our upcoming test, I will leave you with something incredibly nerdy that made me smile.

I shall seek and find you...
I shall take you to bed and control you..
I will make you ache, shake and sweat until you grunt and groan...
I will make you beg for mercy...
I will exhaust you to the point that you will be relieved when I leave you...
And you will be weak for days.
All my love, ..................

The Flu



Aaron

1 comment:

  1. YOU ARE AWESOME AARON HUNTER RELIC! best son ever! with the added bonus that i didn't have to birth you:) so proud of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete