Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 19, 2011

To Daddy

Although I wrote my daddy a card for Father's Day, there just wasn't enough room to fully express how much I love him. My daddy's primary love language is words of affirmation, so a card alone won't suffice...and today is one of the few days I can brag about him without feeling conceited.
As I mentioned on Mother's Day, one of the greatest privileges of growing up is getting to know your parents outside the bounds of their parental roles - as people and as friends. As a teenager, I found it difficult to live with my father...because we are by and large the same person. It so irritated me when others brought that to my attention at the time, but I've grown to realize that it's one of the greatest compliments anyone can pay me.
My father is a pastor, but we like to say that he doesn't "preach," he "teaches." He has the courage to tackle any subject that the Bible addresses, and is the first to use himself as an example in front of the congregation. He truly practices what he preaches; the rarity of that quality is one of the greatest reasons behind my admiration of him.
Daddy is down to earth and treats everyone with the same respect. It's a running joke that we can't go anywhere without him making a friend. He truly has a heart for others, and has sacrificed so much of himself for the church, his friends, and his loved ones. There's a private side to being a pastor that no one but the family sees, and it's his attitude and actions there that are the most inspiring. I can't tell you the number of people that have told me how he has influenced their lives in some way or how much they respect him. He is leaving a legacy.
My father, as many fathers do, looks back and wishes he would have done more in regards to my sister and me. He doesn't realize that any missed opportunities in his mind don't register in ours. Our memories consist of tickle monster, spend the night nights (slumber parties with mom and dad!), story time, and countless other moments spent knowing that our daddy loved us more than life. I am so blessed to have had a storybook childhood, and now to have a wonderful friendship with my father. I look to him for advice, my husband looks to him as an example of a godly husband and father, and we both look to him for a good time and laughs. :)
One of my favorite memories is a date night with daddy in which we traveled to Arkansas for a basketball game and ate at the Venetian Inn in Tontitown - just the two of us. I felt so special and adored by father. Thank you, daddy, for always making me feel that way. Happy Father's Day!
Love,
Your little girl...always

No comments:

Post a Comment