Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Intubation Intimidation Conquered

I followed an anesthesiologist today and experienced a lot of "firsts."
First experience in an OR not as the patient.
First observation of a surgery.
And, drum roll please (seriously, drum roll for me, because it's a big deal)... my first live intubation!
By live, I mean I wasn't practicing on a mannequin with plastic and rubber body parts. Parts such as teeth, which made a loud clicking sound if one applied too much force against them, signaling that they had been broken. I broke a lot of teeth on those mannequins, and thus was extremely nervous about performing on a real human being with real teeth. Yikes!


After watching the doctor perform the first, I was called into action. He guided me through the first step of inserting the laryngoscope blade, and asked me what I saw - the epiglottis. I pushed forward, hoping to see those vocal cords and smoothly slide the tube in...and I did! Signs on the monitor and a visual of the patient's chest rising and falling indicated that the tube was in the correct position.
It was over quickly, and soon I was being guided through the steps of a "lap chole" (gallbladder removal) by the surgeon, who was courteous enough to point out the structures as he navigated the surgery. It was amazing to watch from merely a foot away.
I'm loving this rural rotation and the opportunities I'm being presented!

No comments:

Post a Comment