Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Rotation One: Lessons Learned

We've finished up our first month of rotations and are walking away with a few pointers to apply during those that follow.

1. Be on time. And by "on time", I mean be early. I made it a point to arrive at least 10 minutes before my physician expected me, and I received several compliments about "being committed."

2. Treat everyone, regardless of their status or position, with respect. The nurses were initially a little tough on me, but "yes, ma'am," and expressing a willingness to learn went a long way. By the end of the month, I was being invited in on other cases that the nurses thought would be interesting for me to see.

3. Anticipate your attending's/physician's needs. Pay close attention to their routine - the supplies they keep stocked, the materials they prep in advance, etc. - and take the initiative to complete these small tasks for them. The more time you save them, the more time they have in return to teach you.

Tomorrow is orientation for our Rural Clinic in Aardmore, Oklahoma. I'm hoping to catch some babies on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment