Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sinister Sinuses

I've discovered one aspect of the first two years of medical school that I prefer to rotations.
I developed a nasty sinus infection last week. Fever, sinus pressure that made my ear drums feel as if they were about to burst, and congestion had me struggling to stay alert and on my toes. I ended up stuffing tissues up my nostrils underneath my mask so that I wouldn't have to leave the OR to blow/wipe my nose.
I refuse to call in sick for anything less than the Ebola virus - a good impression it does not make. First and second year, I would have heavily medicated myself, slept through my morning classes, and been nothing more than physically present in afternoon labs...and then played catch-up as soon as possible.
The up side of toughing it out? 3 more successful intubations. Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment