Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 15, 2012

The Art of the Christmas Wish List

I take the creation of my Christmas wish list very seriously.
You're probably thinking, "It's October! Why are you already making your Christmas list?!" Well, my friends, my mother starts Christmas shopping in October. In fact, she's starting this Wednesday. She's not exactly a last-minute shopper. ;)

I can't stand knowing exactly what I'll receive - it ruins the anticipation of Christmas morning! - so I like to provide a big selection for my family. Each wrapped present is a wonderful mystery. :)
I pick items I would not purchase for myself, either because they exceed my budget or because they are a purchase I just can't justify as practical.
Here are a few annual staples that make the cut:

1. A pair of boots. I often choose a classic that I can wear for seasons to come and with a good variety of wardrobe options. A girl can never have too many pairs of boots. Or shoes, for that matter.
Antonio Melani "Stevie" - I'm thinking I need a little western-meets-equestrian inspiration
2. A statement-making accessory. This leopard scarf is the perfect pop of print for this season.

Stella and Dot Bryant Park Scarf in Tan
3. Piece(s) for the home. The older I grow, the more important making my house a home becomes. Cozy throws, eclectic pillows, unique lamps - it doesn't take much to make a big impact on design and function.

These are my favorite throw blankets and were a favorite gift a couple of years ago: Nobility Chenille Throws from Dillard's
I'm also amassing a collection of dinnerware and serving pieces. This domed cake stand will be perfect for entertaining and matches the flatware caddy I received for my birthday.
Artimino Footed Cake Plate
4. Beauty product(s). Makeup, moisturizer, tools - these usually fall under the category "cannot justify" for me.  Since I'm nearing 30 (ah!), I'm requesting this highly-rated cleansing device to add to my skincare regimen...which right now consists only of washing my face twice daily. Ok, so the AM wash consists of splashing cold water on my face. Yeah, we'll work on that....

Clarisonic Mia Cleansing System
5. Something unique and fitted to your personality. I spotted this "Love my State" necklace at The Vintage Pearl and fell in love. What a cute way to display state pride! The heart goes over the city of your choice. Adorable.


6. Nail polish, hair accessories, lotions, candles - anything that fits in a stocking. If I'm being honest, stocking stuffers might just be my favorite part!

Essie "Skirting the Issue" from Fall 2012 Collection
7. Gift cards. The girls in my family love to do a little after-Christmas shopping for steals and deals. Not only can you typically get more bang for your buck, it's like Christmas morning: take 2!

While these are loose guidelines, there is one rule I always follow. Spend just as much time and effort selecting the gifts you give to your loved ones as you did picking those on your wish list. After all, the giving, not the getting, is the best part of Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. DId you know that Oil of Olay has a $30 version of the Clarisonic? You should give it a try. (-: I got one at Target.

    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete