Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Saying No to Psychiatry

It didn't take long for Aaron and I to rule out Psychiatry as a possible career. In fact, the first day of this month's rotation was enough to cause us to cross it off the list.
The majority of our day consists of visiting with patients on the "elderly" floor of the inpatient unit at Laureate Psychiatric Hospital. The reasons for admission range from suicidal ideation/attempts to dementia to major depressive episodes to substance abuse/withdrawal.
The staff provides wonderful care, which is refreshing when the news often exposes the opposite practice. The ladies almost always have their fingernails painted, and the nurses do their hair in the afternoons sometimes. They watch movies and have "trivia time." Thank goodness for those that are called to take care of this part of the population; it's so needed, and I'm sure they are very under-appreciated.
Aaron also rounds at nursing homes around the area. He texted this to me yesterday: "I've seen all the motivation I need to keep my mind and body active. Don't let me wind up in a nursing home."
Every single patient requests to go home daily. I will do whatever it takes to ensure my mom and dad remain at home, even if home is with us. And I second Aaron's sentiment about motivation to stay mentally and physically fit!
Mom, start doing some crossword puzzles!

No comments:

Post a Comment