Our virology lecture this morning covered some viruses that are prevalent in the tropics, which led our professor to allow us to peer into his paranoid thought processes. While his wife is always nudging him to spend some time closer to the equator, he has only given in to a vacation in Hawaii in order to escape the pathogens that are waiting at the airport upon your arrival in more undeveloped countries ;)
Apparently he couldn't even enjoy hiking in Hawaii as he noticed all the potential reservoirs of disease in its wildlife and nature - even the pools lying at the steps of stunning waterfalls were just cesspools of disease. I don't know who I feel more sorry for - him, or his wife. I can't see a tropical getaway happening anytime in their future.
The lecture, combined with the gloomy, doom-y weather outside got me thinking about summer and the vacation that we have planned! We'll be traveling to Playa del Carmen, spending several sunny-filled days on the white beaches, frolicking (yes, I like to frolic) about in the turquoise waters of the Caribbean coast. And hopefully returning pathogen-free. Here's a look at the boutique hotel we've booked:
I can almost feel the breeze now... (if Aaron blows on my face softly)



No comments:
Post a Comment