Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Proctology Practice

Aaron acting like a typical boy, dipping his gloved finger into his chocolate milk before the exam

Yesterday was a day I've been dreading from the moment it was announced: the male exam. I was let off easy a couple of weeks ago when several patient models didn't show for the female exam and I was temporarily exempt. Not so fortunate this time around...
Let me preface this by saying that genitalia are gross; I know that's not professional, but there is something seriously wrong with someone who wants to examine those parts of the human anatomy every day.
To make matters worse, I was the only female in my lab group. The physician teaching us kept assuming much of the information was common knowledge - I'm sure it is if you have a penis and scrotum. I, on the other hand, had no idea what happened in the 'coughing' test besides the fact that the patient turns their head and coughs. It was like sex education in high school all over again.
After demonstrating the exam on our patient, our group went into the hall and was asked if there were any questions. What didn't I have a questions about? However, I, along with the rest of my colleagues, kept my mouth shut as we awkwardly awaited the impending horror. No one volunteered initially to go first, so I took one for the team (that is, the female team) and raised my hand. I was surprised by my bravery.
My patient model was a nice older gentleman who was kind enough to let me know when I was in the 'correct' places during the various stages. It did not take long, was not nearly as uncomfortable as I imagined, and was far from horrific. That equals a surprise success in my book. The person I felt most sorry for was on the receiving end, for he had to go through 4 more after me. Bless his heart...and his bum.

No comments:

Post a Comment