Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Babies, Babies, and More Babies

After my first vaginal delivery last Friday, I was eager to have another opportunity in order to become more comfortable with the process. My wish was certainly granted when I returned to work this week.
I've delivered 2 more babies vaginally, as well as assisted on my first C-section, thus far. The doc's been a wonderful teacher in that he turns it over to me while being only a step away if I encounter any trouble. I'm literally performing the entire procedure, from the time the baby crowns to the time I deliver the placenta, and I'm confident enough now to be the only one in the room if need be. I even freed the cord from the neck of today's special delivery with ease. Yay!
The C-section was also the first surgery I've scrubbed in on, so it was doubly exciting. I also experienced being "pimped" for the first time by the surgeon. From how many layers we cut through (seven) to the identification of structures (difficult to orient when the uterus is flipped upside down and rotated!), my knowledge was put to the test throughout the procedure. This was all while trying to remember how to properly handle the tools and instruments and pulling the appropriate structures/layers back so that the surgeon's view was unobstructed. Overall, it was a success. I do, however, need to become reacquainted with my Netter's.
The kit we use for circumcisions - doesn't the middle instrument just look scary?
My doc obtained permission for me to perform circumcisions on two of the little ones we delivered this week. I felt like such a horrible person as those poor babies wailed! It's a big blessing that they don't remember a thing.
We have another induction planned on Friday morning, and this student doctor is ready for #5!

No comments:

Post a Comment