This week was a good representation of family practice in my books. I performed 2 PAP smears, countless well-child checks, and investigated everything from sore throats and runny noses to rashes and UTIs. Throw in a little management of chronic diseases such as hypertension and diabetes, and you've summed the profession up nicely.
A few of the highlights this week (pathologically speaking):
Dengue fever - and no, the child hadn't traveled outside the U.S.
An inspiring little patient with sickle cell anemia
Reassuring 50 worried moms, "That's totally normal."
The questions commonly stem from me asking if baby is eating/sleeping/pooping okay (the three main issues), and if they have any additional questions or concerns. A little piece of advice? You are not required to summon additional questions or concerns upon that prompt. I'd much rather have an overcautious mother, however, than one who is neglectful. I'm sure I'll assume the overly cautious role one day as well. :)
West Nile virus cases - there's been a high rate of infection in this area. Yet another reason for me to stay indoors!
After a nap this afternoon, I'm comfortably settling into the weekend with my hubby, a pizza, and a Redbox movie or two. Hope yours is relaxing as well!

No comments:
Post a Comment