Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Frozen Pipes and Fluorescent Light

I woke up to the alarm two days ago and headed straight for the bathroom as usual - my bladder is tiny so it's a miracle if I make it to morning without a few trips. In my groggy haze I attempted to turn on the faucet to wash my hands and... nothing happened. I immediately called (shouted) for Aaron, who quickly realized we had forgotten to leave the faucets on a slight drip overnight. Needless to say the negative temperatures combined with the fact that our 1929 house has no insulation ensued in frozen pipes. We called the landlord, who luckily had had the same lapse (and thus couldn't be mad) who advised us to open up the cabinets and leave the water on in hopes that they would thaw during the day. Thankfully, they were running when we came home from school (our water bill is going to be sickeningly high this month).
The situation got me thinking. We were only without running water for less than a day, and it had a huge impact on my morning. The monotonous daily routine filled with activities in which I just go through the motions - showers, brushing my teeth, washing my hands, getting a glass of water - is something that I take for granted. These are all little luxuries (yes, luxuries) with which I'm blessed. Add heat, a roof over my head and a warm bed and I really have it made. Aaron and I are often dreaming of what the future will hold, but events such as this remind me that we're already rich, especially by global standards. It changed my outlook, although inevitably I know the impact won't be as long-lasting as I hope. However, as I sit in my little study carrel under a fluorescent light with a mound of Immunology glaring at me from behind my laptop, I won't throw myself a pity party for being inside on the first sunny, mild day in nearly 2 weeks, studying hours on end while others are enjoying the weekend. I am content and grateful that I have the opportunity to receive such an amazing level of education and that I will be going home to a warm house with a stocked refrigerator and indoor plumbing. There are plenty of warm sunny days left in the year...

1 comment:

  1. well said baby girl. we do take SO many things for granted! love you and go get it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete