Ah. V-Day. I absolutely abhored it when I was single, and when I was in relationships before meeting the hubs. Now I am one of those girls, who oohs and aahs over flowers, candy, cards, and any previously vomit-inducing declaration of love. I am unapologetic about this 180 degree turn, as should be every woman who has found the man who will treat her like the princess she is and dole out her version of romance not just on February 14th, but often enough to always make her feel like his most prized possession.
[Steps down from soapbox]
That being said, I single-handedly nearly ruined not only Aaron and I's V-Day, but that of my parents and sister as well. And I made it look easy. The first situation was not my fault; I did not schedule an Immunology exam this past Monday. Therefore, it was not my fault that I was extremely anxious and flabbergasted that morning and nearly made us late for the exam - Aaron HATES being late. But my patient man not only gave me flowers while I was rushing around the house, he gave me TWO sets of flowers: beautiful red tulips and a half dozen white roses. And when I yanked open the car door as we flew out the door, I had 2 beautiful gift bags sitting in my seat with the most adorable cross-body purse, a heart-shaped cookie cutter (I love to bake) and my favorite candies (Reese's hearts and raspberry-filled chocolate, anyone?).
With the exam over and both of us having done well, we could finally enjoy the day stress-free....hahahaha. Wouldn't that have been nice? I went home after the exam because we had finished early and the next lecture had been cancelled. I stopped by Merritt's Bakery, got Aaron a cannoli and a chocolate-covered strawberry, and headed home to finish his card and a project I was working on for him. I wrote a list of 25 of the infinite reasons I love him so dearly. I then packed my bag to get ready for our dinner date after Clinical Skills Lab and pranced out the door, feeling accomplished and smug since I was going to pick up burgers from his favorite place for lunch. I slammed the door behind me...and realized I had remembered everything but my keys. That particular door locks automatically when it is shut (that should be illegal!!!). I then had to call my poor hungry husband and explain that we had nowhere to sleep that night because the spare keys were also locked in the house. Long story short, my amazing mother dropped everything and drove an hour each way just to drop off the spare key she had so that we wouldn't be homeless on Valentine's Day. And as soon as she got home, she and my father had to speed to Fayetteville, where they had dinner reservations with my sister. Crisis avoided, narrowly, but I keep everyone on their toes, don't I?
I was so impressed with Aaron because he didn't get upset or sound disappointed throughout my flubs of the day. And when we arrived back at school and went to our carrels, I found one of the sweetest notes he's ever written to me lying on my desk. It was a tear-jerker. We ended up having a lovely dinner with friends, and I received several more presents (I LOVE presents!), but his attitude, actions, and that note just solidified that I picked my perfect forever valentine. Here's hoping I don't set the house on fire next year...

well you did NOT ruin v-day! it was worth it to get a quick squeeze and kiss! what a blessed girl you are - and we are blessed in-laws. everything you dreamed about and more!
ReplyDelete