Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Female Exam and H&Ps

The past few days have been interesting indeed. I was once again reminded of the fact that I live in a medical school bubble through the discovery of Bin Laden's death via Facebook. Sadly, that seems to be a legitimate news source lately and my only connection to the normal outside world.
Justin and MacKelvie chose to personify "Mercka" (America) and its awesomeness in celebration
Yesterday, my entire day was consumed by Clinical Skills. The female exam lab was scheduled several weeks ago, but several physicians and patient models failed to show up; therefore, my group and several others were rescheduled for this week. I mourned the loss of study time, suited up (white coat), and was amazed at the difference between this exam and my confusion during the male prostate tutorial. Possessing all the "parts" was very helpful. As much as I didn't want to take precious time to makeup the lab, I ultimately was grateful for the experience. I will now look much more competent in rotations. Ex: I will correctly insert the catheter into the urethra instead of stabbing at the clitoris...apparently this is a common mistake. Also, if your male OB/Gyn ever says anything in that region looks "beautiful" or "pretty," he missed etiquette 101. Creepy.
 A lecture actually walking us through writing a H&P would've been extremely helpful
While my afternoon was spent with a speculum and KY, my morning was spent waiting for a meeting and then being told of my absolute failure in writing my first History and Physical. My instructor/physician purposefully did not give anyone in her group over an 80%, which was upsetting considering the time I put into it rather than studying Neuro the day before the exam. Apparently, the example H&P's we were given that were written by actual physicians would not have received above an 80% either, because that's what my classmates and I followed. We should also know what questions to ask in all circumstances and be able to determine which lab tests to order at this point (?). While the critique I received was much appreciated for its future benefit, I would have appreciated not being held accountable to a much more advanced knowledge base. Has it been that many years between their first year and the present?

No comments:

Post a Comment