It's the end of our second day of summer vacation. It's only beginning to seem real that I don't have upcoming exams for which I need to study, or 8:00 AM classes requiring an early morning alarm. Aaron and I have both dreamt about studying for the past two nights. Last night was Clinical Skills... maybe because it was my last priority this week? It's so difficult to fully relax, breathe, and accept the fact that I have three months of freedom before me.
I've realized that while I covered more information than I ever imagined possible in only 2 semesters, the life lessons I've learned during this first year of medical school outweigh the thousands of pages of notes I spent hours devouring. Here are a select few.
1. No one truly understands what you go through as a medical student unless they have gone through it themselves. Those that realize this fact and do everything they can to empathize anyway are priceless (mom, dad, and Macee).
2. You will never, ever, walk into an exam feeling prepared...with the exception of OMM. Regardless of how many hours you spent in preparation, you will undoubtedly feel as if you could have done more. Accept it, acknowledge the work you did accomplish, and move onto the next exam.
3. You cannot conquer medical school alone. The success is shared with those select loved ones who supported you every step of the way, and owed to God, who heard every single prayer and answered exceedingly and abundantly every. single. time.
4. My marriage is more important than a 4.0. Choosing to spend quality time with my husband over putting in an extra hour of studying was an investment in our future and undoubtedly one of the reasons that our marriage is stronger than ever after this first year.
I'm so blessed to have survived the first year, and to have learned a few things in the process. Second year lessons can wait. I have a lot of naps to catch up on before then :)

No comments:
Post a Comment