Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pathology Preparation

It took me until February, but I finally nailed down a study routine for Pathology that has served me very well.

1. Attend class with my laptop unopened (Pinterest is only a few keystrokes away if not!).  Between looking at the slides on the projector screen, glancing at the professor, skimming the Pathology text and simultaneously highlighting important facts and phrases, my ADD attention span is able to last the majority of the way through the 50 minute lecture. Two hour lectures on Monday and Friday require much more Dr. Pepper power.

 Apparently it IS for women, as it's my coffee substitute. Coffee: blech.

2. Review Aaron's lecture notes...if Poppie taught the block. Aaron's notes because of said ADD and computer temptation problem. And he takes amazing notes.


3. Painstakingly work my way through each packet of study questions, reading the corresponding section in the text, studying the images related to each question, and inserting notes. This ensures I don't have to re-read the chapters, as I have all of the important details listed in the packet.The endocrine packet, which was 37 pages, took me over 3 hours. Time-consuming, but it pays off in the end.

4. Review packets. Repeat as many times as possible before the exam.

5. Day of exam: flip through the relevant chapters in the text and focus on the images and tables as a refresher.

6. Take the rest of the day off and do something relaxing, such as go fishing, which we did post-exam Monday afternoon. Be as mindless as possible.

 
I caught my first fish on that trip - a small bass - and skinned it. I also learned that the term is "filet," not "skin." I'm a work in progress.
Add a pond to the list of must-haves for our future property, right alongside the gun range...

No comments:

Post a Comment