The folks over at TTC were kind enough to teach us how to "scrub in" for a surgery. I had no idea how many steps were involved, and how meticulous one must be to prevent contamination. Luckily, it fits perfectly with my Type A personality.
Your hands can't go above or below certain points on your body, or you have to leave and scrub in again.
You must bend over from the waist when drying your hands/arms so as not to let the towel touch your scrubs, or you have to leave and scrub in again.
Your back must face away from the table and equipment at all times, or you have to leave and scrub in again.
Are you seeing a pattern here? I could go on and on. And on.
The most difficult part was putting on the gloves over the gown with no assistance. It's supposed to be one fluid motion. Mine was about 32 adjustments to just get my fingers in the right place.
![]() |
| Aaron getting super clean! |
I now feel much more prepared for the first day of my surgery rotation, and much less likely to get yelled at/kicked out of the OR by my attending. I have no misconceptions about looking like I know what I'm doing - one afternoon isn't going to accomplish that. However, we're not going to just be thrown to the wolves. It's so nice to be taught the practical stuff that most people assume we automatically know!
Surgery, here I come!
Now, to not pass out...




I am trying to teach Ty how to NOT scrub in at home. That man splashes water all over everything. Save it for the OR. haha.
ReplyDelete